What I Do
I am an entrepreneur, philanthropist, technologist and data analyst, focusing on how to make data easier for nonprofits, journalists, governments and socially oriented companies to use. I run a company, Civic Knowledge, have a non profit project, The San Diego Regional Data Library, and build open source software, Metatab. I’m currently the board President at The League of Amazing Programmers, and was formally the founding board President at San Diego Canyonlands.
619 889 7571
My passion project is the San Diego Regional Data Library, where I run socially significant data projects, such as:
- Developing a data set of homeless sleeper counts for the Downtown San Diego Partnership, analyzing the data, and helping students and citizens learn how to analyze it themselves.
- Building and maintaining a large collection of public data related to San Diego County, some of which, such as our crime datasets, are frequently used in research.
- Providing research data collections to the San Diego Hunger Coalition to support their free meals advocacy programs.
I work with commercial organizations to :
- Build data oriented websites.
- Provide data analysis training and support.
- Improve and maintain data pipelines.
I’m also an Open Source programmer with extensive contributions including: